Saturday, October 22, 2011

Don't Hate Me Because I'm A H07G33K

Yea, I'm a geek. And, I'm also a hottie. Why is it so difficult for people to grasp that these two separate concepts can live harmoniously together in fantastic ways?? Hottie geeks may not be the norm, but we exist. I know a few.


Most people think I'm only a geek-by-marriage due to Kane's Über Nerd status. Pfffffft! My geekly tendencies were influenced well before I met Kane. Besides, if I wasn't a geek when we started dating, we neeeeeevvvvvvverrrr would have worked. I mean if my mind wasn't at least a half time resident of Nerdville, his jokes and sly comments alone would go right over my head leaving me with a perpetual deer in head lights look. And our wedding? Probably would not have been an EPIC WIN. Seriously? He had a T-shirt that read:
C:/DOS
C:/DOS/RUN
RUN/DOS/RUN
And I remember laughing my ass off the first time I saw him wear it because I knew exactly what it meant. If I didn't get it, that totally would have been a deal breaker for him.

I grew up watching old sci-fi on TV: The Twilight Zone, Amazing Stories, Doctor Who, Star Trek: the original series, and V. I had 3 favorite movies growing up: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

My dad had a shit ton o' sci-fi movies on VHS (yes, I said VHS) and on Saturdays when mom was working, I got to pick out a movie, dad would make lunch (either a hot ham & cheese sandwich or PB&J - and if it was cold out, a cup of Campbell's Bean with Bacon soup accompanied said sandwich). Doritos or Pringles were the side dish of choice, and to finish off the tasty noms, a home made Rocky Road ice cream milk shake). SIDENOTE: Why the fuck can I remember what I ate for lunch on the weekend when I was little, yet I have no memory of what I had for breakfast this morning? We'd sit in the living room, eat our lunch, watch the movie, quote the movie -we still do that to this day, BTW. Such great father/daughter bonding. My movie selection was usually one of my 3 favorites. You know kids and watching the same thing over and over and over.

Of course, being a little kid, remembering such long movie titles was near impossible. And you can't just say "Star Trek" or "Star Wars" cuz you'd end up watching either The Motion Picture or A New Hope. Although good in their own right, they weren't near as exciting as a Jedi with a robot arm, seeing bugs crawl into a guy's ear, or watching whales. So, to specify the movie I wanted to watch, they became "the robot arm movie" (The Empire Strikes Back), "the movie with the ear bugs" (The Wrath of Kahn), and "the whale movie" (The Voyage Home). Dad knew exactly what movie I wanted to watch based on my Nikki Original titles. As I got older, dad introduced me to the classics. The Day The Earth Stood Still, Enemy Mine, Planet of the Apes, and of course Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I still remember galloping around the house like a horse, hands cupped, trying to mimic the sound of 2 coconut halves being banged together. Ahh, good times.

Here are some of the reasons why I was, and still am, a geek:

Before Kane:

*I remember my first doctor
*I could name all the characters in the Star Wars trilogy at age 3
*My first gaming system was Atari, then upgraded to an NES when I was 4
*My first computer, at age 6, was CLI and I knew how to .exe very well
*When dad said "you, damn, dirty, apes", I'd laugh

With Kane:

*Got married at the Star Trek Experience
*I know the location of every comic book store within a 50 mile radius
*We were first in line to see the remake of Hitchhiker's Guide
*We can haz'd everything
*When I hear "Schrödinger", my first thought is that poor cat
*I got PS2 games for holidays (and LOVED! them)
*I own more anime and manga then a Japanese school girl

After Kane:

*My living room decor includes wall scrolls
*My forum signature (in pink letters):

SELECT Try FROM Do FULL JOIN DoNot ON Do.Try=DoNot.Try
0 rows returned

*I own a pair of fuzzy d20, an "icanhascheezburger" magic 8 ball, a Borg Cube mug, a Tribble, and a jar of Magic, Self-Healing, Server Pixie Dust (biodegradable, soy based)
*Not only can I understand The Big Bang Theory show on TV, I laugh my ass off at it cuz its hella funny
*Stephen Hawking is my hero
*I'm friends with Dr. Michio Kaku on Facebook

Today's rant, trip down memory lane, and Geek Card renewal is brought to you by the letters T, O, J, O, Q, A, and an apostrophe. Those letters appeared in a message from a geek website I frequent which rejected my account nickname. Notice the mentioning of a "Good Taste Patrol"? Yep. H07G33K was rejected. Yet, Tojo'Qa is a Klingon swear word. But, yet, H07G33K was not in "good taste"...?


Don't worry, I ripped their "fine customer service monkeys" a new one, cuz, yea, it was a nickname emergency. Pointing out how my nickname was in wayyy more "good taste" then their Klingon swear words, mentioning I happened to be a geek and a hottie so the name was completely fitting for my exclusive use, and then closing with something about the combination of the two being the fantasy of every nerd. I'm curious to see what their response is ...

Thank you, life, for your plethora of inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. Its wonderful to see you expressing yourself!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking that with the whole "service monkey' thing, that this is ThinkGeek (famous for their work monkies). See...I'm also a huge geek :)

    Sic 'em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, you got it, 'sista! They actually approved it :)

    ReplyDelete